The health care ministry of Dominican friars in New York City began in 1932, when Cornell University Medical College and New York Hospital moved to their current joint location on York Avenue within the boundaries of the Parish of Saint Catherine of Siena. Other hospitals and medical centers moved to the neighborhood in following years (e.g. Memorial Hospital in 1939 and Hospital for Special Surgery in 1955) and they continue to expand their presence.
In 2002, the Dominican Province of Saint Joseph determined to broaden its health care ministry in New York. A new focus on health care ethics was added to the pastoral ministries at Saint Catherine’s Church and in the area hospitals. This newly envisioned ministry was named Dominican Friars Health Care Ministry of New York.
Today, Dominican Friars Health Care Ministry of New York includes the work of four full-time friars and dozens of lay men and women. In partnership with area health care centers, the Archdiocese of New York, the Parish of Saint Vincent Ferrer and Saint Catherine of Siena, the Dominican Shrine of Saint Jude, and others, our ministries in the area health care centers and for the health care community continue to grow.